Shoe Salesperson or Consultant?
I often talk about the importance of personnel working in specialized shoe stores and their responsibility for providing sound advice on running shoes. These shoe consultants are often the first people beginners meet before taking their first strides, hence the importance of their teachings and how they share such information. However, reality has shown that their skill level differs greatly from one consultant to another.
You can spot poor shoe salespersons by the nonsense they tell their customers. Next time you enter a specialized shoe store to purchase a pair of shoes, be alert and vigilant. That way, you can make an informed decision irrespective of the marketing myths, errors and inaccuracies force-fed to employees!
IF YOU HEAR ALL OF THE SENTENCES FURTHER BELOW:
Take this opportunity to test your sprinting abilities! You’re talking to a salesperson and not a shoe consultant. In addition to not knowing what he’s talking about, he’s dangerous. Call the authorities!
IF YOUR HEAR 4 OF THE 5 SENTENCES FURTHER BELOW:
Wait for it, the fifth one will come as quickly J.
IF YOU HEAR ONLY 1 OR 2 OF THE SENTENCES FURTHER BELOW:
Your shoe consultant is not necessarily ill-intentioned. He may simply be communicating biased information handed down from his superior or derived from false beliefs spread by company representatives. Take the time to ask questions or, at least, refer him to The Running Clinic website.
IF YOU DON'T HEAR ANY OF THE SENTENCES FURTHER BELOW:
Your shoe consultant may be a bit out of it, but not dangerous! If, on the other hand, he supports his advice on shoes with current and evidence-based data in addition to explaining why more traditional recommendations are inadequate, stay with him, keep going back to see him for information and recommend him to all your friends. You have found a true shoe consultant!
5 typical sentences you will hear from a bad salesperson:
- Since you are a beginner and thus run slowly, you need a good compromise between cushioning and control.
- You have flat feet and your feet pronate, which means that you need stable shoes with pronation control components.
- You're heavy, you need more cushion support.
- I have the same model with the same cushioning and control features for your child or teenager.
- This new super cushion control feature (or any other technical lingo that seems to come straight out of a major scientific research laboratory) can help prevent injuries and give back 83% of your energy so that you can run faster.
Runners, never be fooled by such marketing strategies. Specialized shoe consultants, be sharp enough to be able to pinpoint unvalidated information. Specialized shoe store owners, rely on credible and unbiased information sources.